Elizabeth Pagel-Hogan is an author and educator from Pittsburgh, PA. She loves exploring history and science. Her books include Animal Allies: 15 Amazing Women in Wildlife Research and The Science and Technology of Leonardo da Vinci. She’s written over a dozen fiction and nonfiction books and graphic novels. Elizabeth lives with her family and pet schnoodle and loves board games, birding, and baking. She’s a lifelong runner and community volunteer.
She has been a science educator on stage and a historical re-enactor at museums. In 2021, Elizabeth completed the Master Birder program with the Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania. Elizabeth is an instructor in the graduate writing program at McDaniel College and for the Highlights Foundation. She is represented by Miranda Paul.
More About Me
I’m a curious person with a lot of interests. Here are some of passions, hobbies, and activities. They all influence and impact my books.
Community Science Projects
I’ve been involved in several wonderful community science projects. These activities are great for families, classrooms, clubs, and more.
- Project Feederwatch
- Great Backyard Bird Count
- Christmas Bird Count
- FrogWatch USA
- Firefly Count
In 2021 I earned my Master Birder certificate from the Audubon Society of Western PA.
I’ve been a runner since I was 13. Thanks to running, I’ve built incredible friendships and learned valuable life lessons.
- High school and collegiate track and cross country
- Founder and race director for the Haunted Hills 5K and Run for the Ruins 5K
- Social media manager for the Pittsburgh Marathon
- Ambassador and Century Club member for the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
- Ross Elementary Running Club founder
We’re also huge soccer fans and have visited soccer stadiums in several counties. We traveled to Vancouver in 2015 to cheer for the US Women’s National team!
I earned my BA and MA in History but I love to continue to learn and study this subject.
- Docent at Patapsco Female Institute Historic Park
- National Archives and Records Administration employee
- Smithsonian Institution volunteer
- Student government from high school through graduate school
- Contributing author for elementary school textbooks and atlases
Advocacy and Activism
Our family does a lot of volunteering. Some issues that are important to us are food insecurity and for gun violence prevention.
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America volunteer since 2013
- North Hills Community Outreach volunteer
- North Hills Cares volunteer
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank Volunteer