This summer, my critique group is working through a middle grade summer reading list. We’re trying to read a book a week, and we are answering questions about the book when we’re done. Here’s our summer reading list. The questions we answer for each book are below the list.
Middle Grade Summer Reading List
- The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1), Hicks, Faith Erin.
- Belly Up (FunJungle, #1), Gibbs, Stuart.
- All Summer Long, Larson, Hope Larson.
- Knife’s Edge (Four Points #2), Larson, Hope.
- Compass South (Four Points #1), Larson, Hope.
- Summer of the Monkeys, Rawls, Wilson.
- The True Meaning of Smekday, Rex, Adam.
- Magic Marks the Spot (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #1), Carlson, Caroline
- The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (The League of Princes, #1), Healy, Christopher *
- Once Upon a Marigold (Upon a Marigold, #1), Ferris, Jean.
- Amal Unbound: A Novel, Saeed, Aisha.
- Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1), Townsend, Jessica.
- The Girl Who Drank the Moon, Barnhill, Kelly.
- Running on the Roof of the World, Butterworth, Jess.
- Sheets, Thummler, Brenna.
- Orphan Island, Snyder, Laurel.
- The Seven Tales of Trinket, Thomas, Shelley Moore.
- Survival Strategies of the Almost Brave, White, Jen.
Questions for Middle Grade Summer Reading List
- Did you like it?
- Was there a point when it hooked you? What page?
- What was your favorite part?
- Did you find any part boring? What section, plot line, or character?
- What surprised you?
- Rate the opening – on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the best opening ever!)
- Rate the ending – on a scale of 1 to 5
- Did you like the writing style?
- Did anything seem cliché?
- What did you learn from this book?
- Did the story remind you of any other books?
If you have any book suggestions, please feel free to add them here!